Thursday, November 3, 2011

Harvest season!

The farm is cranking out food now. Here's the weekly record keeping chalkboard...



When something comes in from the field it gets weighed and written down.



I like to get a big group and do a "fire bucket line" for harvesting the 1/5 acre of winter squash. This was the best year ever for them. Hot n dry. We pulled about 1,800 pounds out of the patch in the photo.



This is Cody putting the onion harvest into the big hoophouse for drying and curing. In about two weeks they will be dry and ready to be cleaned and boxed up.


One of the best farm dogs ever- Codys dog Tico. He had lots of fun during onion harvest. Hard to tell why, but he was into it!
People often ask if I'll ever get a dog or why I don't have one?
My answer is that three days a week there are usually two to eight dogs hangin' out on the farm (the record is nine) so I really don't need my own...


This is me with my corn crop this year. I didn't plant any but this one came up in the carrots and I let it grow. I'll grow some flour corn again next year. I still have plenty for pancakes from last years harvest. I am definitely saving seed from this hardy one!

No comments:

Post a Comment